Just in time for Cinco De Mayo! I’m bringining you a simple, low carb option for fried taquitos. These are just as tasty as your typical store-bought taquito, only healthier! With just a few ingredients, you can whip these up in a jiffy.
- Low carb street taco tortillas (however many you want to eat)
- I usually order from http://www.mrtortilla.com. These are cheap and excellent tasting tortillas and I use them almost every other day
- Avocado/Olive oil
- Just enough to fill the bottom of a sace pan for frying
- Some kind of cooked protien, I choose chicken
- Cheese of any kind
- Guac, sour cream, pico, queso…. anything you like to dip your taquito in
- Toothpics to hold them together
Start by getting the desired amount of tortillas and warming them in the microwave. I find it easier to roll this way. Once warmed, put on a plate and fill the inside with cheese and protien.
Don’t over-stuff them or you’ll have a mess. Gently roll them tight without tearing the tortilla and pin closed with a toothpick. Repeat this step until all of your desired taquitos are rolled.
In a medium sized sauce pan, heat up your oil. I kept mine on medium heat and it worked out just fine. It only took a few minutes to warm up so I waited to get the oil ready until I was done rolling.
Once your oil is at temp, gently place a few of your taquitos into the oil. Keep an eye on them as it doesn’t take much time on each side. At the halfway point, I removed the toothpick so it sat down in the oil when I flipped. Fry until your desired crispsness. Remove from oil and place on paper towl.
Plate and enjoy! Add your favorite compliment side! Happy Cinco De Mayo!